Sunday, May 30, 2004

Well, Makigirl. It's soooo good of you to join me here. A place can never have too many Canadians.

Unfortunately, I think I was too slow in getting to the article in Mclean's. It may have moved on by now. As a rule, though, I'm not a big fan of high stakes testing. There's too much that can go wrong when a child has to pass tests in order to move forward. On the other hand, I do believe in standards, and I do believe in holding students accountable to those standards in order to move on in grades (I'm aware that this is a very nuanced position). Further, I think that schools and districts should be held accountable by high stakes testing.

To me, a child should be evaluated on a whole portfolio of measures, some tests, some not. None of them individually should determine if a child is allowed to continue. In addition, every measure of the childs learning should also be teaching the child something (when was the last time that you learned anything from a multiple choice test?).

Canada may have improvements that they need to make to their school systems, but they shouldn't take the easy way out and follow us.

Anyway, there's been something since last weekend that's been bothering me, and I feel like the other sites I read haven't addressed it enough. John Kerry was supposed to forgoe his real acceptance of the Democratic Nomination until after the convention so that he could be on more equal money terms with W. All of the "liberal" commentators on TV said that it was a "too cute" move, and that he's making the election to be more about money. Screw that and them. We need Kerry to win and W to lose. I don't care about cute anymore. I care about winning. Unfortunately, Kerry decided to pull back and formally accept the nomination at the convention. Is this going to be the status of the coverage of the Kerry Presidency for the next 8 years? Sadly, I think it is, even from those supposedly on our side.

-hoagieboy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home