Friday, July 02, 2004

Good job at uncovering The Nation article I was talking about, hoagieboy. We are, of course, on the same side but I do have to semi-disagree with you. Sorry! I know it's hard.

I agree that we cannot just blame the poor performance of some students on their background, socio-economic status, etc. Of course we should fund schools better, support pre-school/head-start programs etc. But at the same time, I don't think it's ridiculous to also focus on those "other" factors that are affecting learning and achievement. If "we" (they) are really concerned about the economy in this country, in wisely using "our" tax dollars, wouldn't it make more sense to support single mothers on social assistance as they try to raise and nurture their children instead of making them work 40 hours a week and placing their children in sub-standard child care so that they can get that welfare cheque?

I just see the actions the government is taking as very short-term band-aids, and that really frustrates me.

-makigirl

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home