Monday, October 18, 2004

Another day of heavy lifting for the VA Victory campaign. Yeah, the guy in charge needed me to pick up more helium tanks today. I haven't seen a balloon anywhere yet, but whatever. Maybe they're slowly filling up a blimp for election day.

I was refered to today as the "campaign courier", kind of cool. It's very interesting being a working stiff for the time being. Nobody really knows that I'm an -hushed tones- academic. I had to stop in at a business today (it was some sort of weird "destination management consultance" whatever the hell that means), and I was in my sweaty carrying helium tanks clothes. I think they thought that I was actually from a courier service. One of the girls at the reception desk paused, I think, while she decided whether to tip me or not. (She didn't.) It's an interesting world that we live in. It's interesting to see the structures that people invent for themselves (a company that provides destination management consulting, for instance), and the things that we leave out of the mix (health care, anyone?).

I look forward to volunteering tomorrow. John Kerry and Jim Moran owe me a couple tanks of gas now, but I'm having a ton of fun. I only wish that I would have been able to start this sooner. But I guess there's always next cycle.

-hoagieboy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home