Saturday, October 09, 2004

Thanks for the kind words, makigirl. I'm glad that you're getting busy too.

Even though we already discussed this on the phone, to record for posterity, I went to Arlington today to canvass for Kerry/Edwards. It was exciting. I was worried awhile ago that there wouldn't be any good election activities here in the metro areas, but it's looking like VA just might be a swing state this time (depends on the last debate, I guess). It's not as close as Ohio, but Kerry's within 2-5 points in Va.

I went to Jim Moran's campaign headquarters in Clarendon this morning to get my assignment. I was a bit late, so I wasn't quite sure what I was doing at first. I also didn't have a canvassing partner for awhile, so that was nervewracking, but it all got sorted out. We drove down to Fairlington, which is close to where I used to live in VA. It was like coming home. I was intrigued that we would go to that section of Arlington. It's more young professional and well off than other areas. Plus there's a large concentration of military personnel there, making me think that it might be swinging the other way.

My canvassing partner, Christiana, was a real pleasure. She's a nurse in the district. She got into politics this cycle because of Howard Dean. Go Ho-Ho! She's been out canvassing before, so it was nice to have someone who was able to lead. Christiana knocked on the doors and said hi, while I marked the clipboard and answered any questions that might come up. Our list was made of independants, and we were trying to determine which way they were breaking.

Suprisingly, to me, Kerry won 9 to 8. Moran won 7 to 3, with some Kerry supporters being less favorable to him. It seems like the independants are really breaking towards Kerry. It seemed that people who had thought out the decision through the debates were going for Kerry, where most of the Bush supporters were people who had always been supporting Bush. I think that if this one street in Fairlington is going for Kerry (barely), then with a big turn out in the Latino and African American sections of Arlington, Kerry could suprise a few people in Va.

All in all it was a good day. Other than one lady who slammed the door on us after saying that "this house is voting for the President of the United States", people were completely nice. I appreciate that, because doing work like this is hard for an introvert like me.

I may be driving my truck for the Kerry Virginia campaign next week.

-hoagieboy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home