Thursday, November 04, 2004

Hating Gay Haters

During the course of the campaign, I got to spend some very serious quality time (we were standing out at the Metro stop together a couple weekends in a row) with a fellow Democrat who is gay. I honestly can't say that I have had a lot of gay friends in my life. I think I knew a couple people in college, but I wasn't particularly close to them (or they came out after college). Most of my life has been fairly sheltered, but I've tried to be as good to people as possible. I know that I've said some bad things during the course of my life, or laughed at some inappropriate jokes, but I think I've tried to deal with people in a caring and sensitive manner.

In any event, as I think back to Tuesday/Wednesday's election results, the thing that I'm most upset about isn't the fact that John Kerry lost. I'm disappointed and sad, but it doesn't really get to the core of me. If there are people out there who honestly believe that tax cuts for rich people during a war are a good thing, or that George Bush (who allowed the worst terrorist assult on America to occur on his watch) will defend us better in Iraq and against Al Qaeda, then great. I think those people are wrong, but it's just a difference of opinion. Potentially, those decisions may lead to either soldiers or poor people dying, but at least the promise of the American ideal isn't being stripped from these people.

What really has me upset over the past day or so is that in 11 states on Tuesday, millions of Americans, like my friend from the campaign, had their rights stripped by ballot measures and constitutional amendments outlawing gay marriage and civil unions. The ugly head of hatred and bigotry reared up on Tuesday evening. My friend and I were both born Americans, but because of some genetic quirk, I'm suddenly allowed to be married, share a bank account, have children with no questions asked, or visit my future wife in the hospital.

I think I would have been bothered by these amendments and such before this year, but not in the same way. I actually know someone who is the victim of this bigotry now. My campaign friend is an amazing, accomplished individual. He has an advanced degree. He has a job and pays taxes (more than me). He is in a committed relationship. I know that when he and his partner decide to have children, he will be an outstanding father. Yet, while we were standing together at the victory party on Tuesday night, millions of his fellow countrymen were telling him that he wasn't good enough.

Well, I say that he is good enough. I've seen many people on message boards say that Democrats lost this election because of the gay rights movement, and that we need to drop it for now. I believe that would be the worst option. Democrats should demand that all Americans aforded the same rights and freedoms. I would walk 200 yards for my friends' freedom. I would ask that others do the same.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home