Monday, April 18, 2005

The Ever Popular "Women in Science" Post

Yeah, I don't really have alot to say about these, other than to express my general cynicism. In Oregon they had a real nice day bringing girls in to do some gee-whiz science projects. I appreciate the intent and the effort. I sincerely hope that some of those girls really do consider careers in the sciences. But, those girls have to go back to their real schools the next day and face some real structural challenges, some of which, hopefully will be discussed in this meeting.

I think the data would show that we do a decent job of getting girls interested in science these days. Although horrible attitudes remain amoung high school teachers, I think they are in many respects on the way out. The average girl scores equally poor in science standardized tests as a boy does now. But I think we can both say that we were witness to the destruction that undergraduate and particularly graduate education inflicts on women in the sciences.

I think it's very important that we continue to excite kids about science in any way possible (even in one day gee-whiz activities). But of even higher importance:
"Scientist, heal thyself."

1 Comments:

At 10:14 PM, Blogger hoagieboy said...

I am with you, but I would like to point out that graduate education does bad things to women AND men. But I think women tend to think, "There's something wrong with me." when men tend to think, "There's something wrong with the system." Well, not to be sexist or anything.

- maki girl

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home