Thursday, June 30, 2005

The Educated Masses

On my team is a staffer for a Representative. He's struck me as a bit dense in the past, but I've tried to keep an open mind. He did go to college and find a fairly prestegious job.

So, we're warming up yesterday, and I'm listening to him talk to another teammate who had recently come back from serving in Iraq for a year. They were talking about getting along with the natives. The staffer asked the soldier if he had picked up any of the language while he was over there. He said, "They speak Persian there, right?"

Persian?

Sweet Jesus.

Ok, we've been fighting in Iraq for over 2 freaking years now, and we've had hostilities with Iraq in one form or another for almost 15. I could buy the question if he lived in flyover country, worked at Walmart, and just wanted to kill guys with towels on their heads. But this person potentially (well, not really, he's junior staff) has the ear of a rather important elected official. You think this might have been one of the factoids that you picked up along your educational path. You know, I don't think I'm being overly picky or snobbish here. I'm not asking him to be able to derive the Schrodinger equation. It just might be nice if he knew what language the people of the country we're at war with speak.

Is it really any wonder that things are going so poorly in Iraq right now?

1 Comments:

At 7:47 AM, Blogger maki-girl said...

Try walking around and asking people to point out where Iraq is on a blank map. Sigh.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home