Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Because We Can't Do It Ourselves

Here's an article about math tutoring companies being set up in India. I guess I'm all for the free flow of information across borders, and you know, it would be interesting if more American kids were exposed to people from other cultures, but I think it's a real shame that there's a market for this, and that American's can't fill that market need. There just simply aren't enough Americans who know math to be able to do this job, or better put, there aren't enough Americans who realize that they know enough about math to do this job. And though I guess if you have a test coming up that you need to pass, you have to do something, but I can't buy that $30/hour for online help is really worth it. The instruction must be horribly formulaic and rigid, not what is needed for most people who need tutoring in the first place.

2 Comments:

At 11:24 AM, Blogger maki-girl said...

I also heard about this recently, I think on NPR. I am curious if this sort of tutoring is actually helpful, or if it's something parents are doing so that they feel like they're doing something.

Why do you think Americans are so bad at math? Or are they just brainwashed into thinking they are?

 
At 3:00 AM, Blogger Tony said...

I've really enjoyed reading your blog. Very interesting.

My math article site has lots of info pertaining to math article.

Come visit sometime :)

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home