Saturday, July 02, 2005

The Instant World

I am sitting in Logan airport in Boston waiting for the next flight in today's cross-country journey. This whole airport is wireless which is really amazing. I still can't believe I remember when the internet was this text-based thing that most people didn't have access to. Now I can be one of those annoying people in the waiting area typing away on my computer. (Don't worry; I hope I'm actually not that annoying as no one is sitting near me.)

While I'm sitting here though, I am amazed at what I'm hearing on CNN. They have those fancy flat TV screens all around the airport with CNN playing all the time. (How much does CNN pay Logan?) So about an hour ago, this girl Shasta was found. She had been missing for quite a while after her mother and other family members were found dead. (More info here if you missed this whole grisly story) I am, of course, very happy that she's been found alive. But I am very disturbed at what passes for news. CNN has been live with this story since it broke, and since no one really knows anything yet (Who was she with? Is he the murderer? Where is her brother?) there is not that much to say, so CNN has been interviewing everyone who might know anything. There was just a woman on there talking about what Shasta was eating in Denny's and did she say yes when she was asked if she wanted crayons? They just keep repeating the same things over and over again, and basically they're saying they don't know anything.

In the same vein, last night on NPR they had a segment about the Friday night news dump that D.C. tends to use. That's when different government offices dump documents on Friday nights hoping that they won't make it into the news since they're dumped right before the weekend. One person made the point that in a way it doesn't matter when information is released anymore because we don't have to wait for the 6 o'clock news or the paper to land on our doorstep, we can have the news 24/7.

I'm just worried that it's not really news and not researched news and some woman telling me what a poor little girl was eating in Denny's. (If you're really curious, that mixed appetizer plate.)

2 Comments:

At 9:19 AM, Blogger hoagieboy said...

Where the White Women At?

CNN is such garbage now. Well, all TV is such garbage now. I guess that's why I don't watch it anymore. It seems that all the news stations want to be breaking stories first, but then they sit on things like the Plame investigation in order to cover stories like this. It's sad and all, but should we really care this much? And how many people could possibly be watching that type of coverage in order to make the advertising profitable?

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger maki-girl said...

I think a lot of people really do watch CNN, MSNBC etc. I mean, you and I don't, but I think we're in the minority. This is really where many people get a lot of their news. And for that reason I think we should care. My previous roommate got ALL her news from MSNBC, CNN and FOX. She's a university professor. Scary.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home