Friday, July 01, 2005

Sacrifices

There's a segment on NPR right now about how Americans aren't really making any sacrifices to aid in the "war" effort and about how most Americans don't even really realize that we are at "war."

I have been thinking lately about how society really seems to be turning inward and becoming very self-centered. And, most importantly, people seem to have lost any sense of duty. No one seems to want to do anything anymore out of duty, but only if they want to do it. I'm not specifically talking about the "duty" of enlisting but duty in a more general sense.

Is this what this great country has come to?

2 Comments:

At 9:06 AM, Blogger hoagieboy said...

I think you're right about this. I wonder, though, how much more of a sense of duty there was in the past.

We think about joining up and fighting/dying in a war as serving one's country. But I think that there are many other ways of serving one's conutry that don't invovle war, which have never been popular. The poor, sick, and homeless have always been something to be avoided in this country. Serving in Americorps or the Peace Corps is something that only a tiny fraction of college graduates do.

And really, even fighting in a war hasn't been all that popular to people. Many people served in the Civil War and WWII, but many also didn't. For the other wars in our nation's past, its been even a lower level of committment. I think that it's been very rare that a large percentage of Americans have felt a true committment to country and fellow citizens.

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger maki-girl said...

I see your point and I (of course) can't know from first hand experience, but it seems like during WWII, for example, people were rationing and collecting tin and buying war bonds and things like that.

Maybe I just don't want to believe that we have always been this way. Because I believe there is a better way.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home