Wednesday, January 18, 2006

A Night at the Funnies

Last night Mrs. H and I went to the DC Improv and saw Jake Johannson. I actually haven't been to a comedy show in quite some time. (I think I was in London about 10 years ago. It was a small backroom of a bar, and the comedian was about to lay into the Yanks. But first he asked if there were any in the room. My friends and I managed to hide somehow. And that was before the GWOT.) It was alot of fun. His humor was very paranoid, which is something that I really enjoy. It was also interesting to see how much more polished he was than the opening acts. I thought that they were all funny, but the delivery was just so much better with the more experienced comics. I guess only having watched stand-up on TV glosses over the real human interaction that goes on there.

All in all, it was a good time.

Since I'm on an entertainment kick again, Sam has his album picks up for 2005. They're good, but there's no Ashlee. What's up with that?

And speaking of girls that I'm stuck on, I've been listening to Holly Williams a ton lately. I found her album last year sometime, but as I wasn't listening to much music then, I didn't really appreciate it. Now, I have it on repeat alot. Unfortunately, she doesn't seem to be on tour much lately, so I can only hope that she's in the studio recording new stuff especially for me.

And lastly, my cousin's band Four Barrel Ghost won their opening round match up in the Emergenza Competition in Pittsburgh. In fact, they got the highest vote total of any band in the whole first round. Pretty good for a cow-punk band. The next round of the competition is in May, but on a Thursday night, so I won't be able to go. But, if you're in Pittsburgh, check them out and show them some love.

Pittsburgh's goin' to the Super Bowl. I got a feelin'.

2 Comments:

At 8:31 AM, Blogger maki-girl said...

I'm intrigued by Sam's picks so I just might have to try out some of them. When I'm back. But you know I love all that Beatles-folk-UK stuff. Who is this Sam?

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger hoagieboy said...

You may have met him at the wedding, but I can't be sure of that.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home