Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Fourier Transforms are Cool

Never thought I'd say that before, as I associate them with one really terrible lecture series/summer school out in New Mexico during my second year of grad school. Well, I guess I have always enjoyed Fourier Transforms. It was just that this particular lecture series was so bad that it still shakes me just to think about it.

PZ Myers at Pharyngula does a great job in illustrating the technique and then applying it to the human genome. Hmmm. I wonder if it would be possible to do a general physics 101 class based on the Fourier transform. It would be an interesting central principle to base the course in -- "All things are harmonic". And you could get the students to see real (and current) applications to what they were learning.

1 Comments:

At 4:09 PM, Blogger maki-girl said...

I love all your ideas for themes/projects etc. for physics classes. I have realized that if I/we want to do something "out there" like that it's going to take a few months of solid effort to get ready for it. So, I propose we write a grant to get money to pay ourselves to do that for two months next summer.

Thoughts?

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home